Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Church and State


Personal opinion as to who God is, what He wants, and which prophets’ accounts He personally approved have no place in the governance of a free people in a free country. The laws of a Democratic government should be the means by which we permit the freedoms of each individual insofar as they do not infringe on the rights of others. My personal beliefs should have no bearing on your rights as a citizen; neither should yours determine which rights you will allow any other citizen. Our prejudices must be put aside to allow for the freedoms that this nation’s founders hoped to achieve for its people.

2 comments:

  1. If I join with my neighbor to protect her right to live her own faith (or lack of), and she joins with me to protect my right to my faith, then we both have two people protecting the rights of each of us. Sounds like a "win win" to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. It is a win/win situation if we do not foster a need for the rest of the world to believe as we do. I fear many people are confusing the US Constitution with the Ten Commandments. One is a statement of the rights and privileges of a free society. The other is a guideline for how that society should live. My rights end where yours begin. We should not, and ultimately cannot, legislate morality in any form.

      Delete